Tuesday, July 27, 2010

a birth story

a year ago this evening (around 10:30pm), i went to the hospital with some pretty intense contractions about 4 minutes apart, two weeks late. i arrived at the hospital to find that triage was full, so was sent to the waiting room until they could clean a room for me. scott and i were met there by my dear friend and douala, kristie. i spent about 30 minutes there doing some "baby spinning" exercises to try and get my sweet babe to engage in the pelvis in the correct position as they speculated that while she was head down she wasn't completely face down. it was quite a site! i had my knees up on a chair with my torso angled down to the ground resting on my forearms.

we were finally welcomed to triage and put on the monitors. the on-call midwife wasn't thrilled with my contractions or my dilation, but since my water had started to leak and there were some signs of meconium sent me to a birthing room and started me on an antibiotic (i have been group b strep with all three babies). i am pretty sure she wanted to send me back home, but am guessing that she thought better about breaking that news to a momma that was two weeks overdue. the inference here is that i was a tad (HA) on the grumpy side.

while we were traveling down to our birthing room, my dear friend jen arrived on the scene. she has never been in a birthing room (aside from her own) and mentioned to me at one point that she would love to see a birth. me, wanting to share natural birth with those around me, invited her to join the birth. (i am pretty sure that after watching this particular natural birth, she will opt for an epidural in her labor next month. apparently my plan backfired!)

we got situated in the room and were basically told that we had a long way to go. they wanted to get two doses of antibiotics into my system before they would consider fully breaking my water. i was disappointed as this was not the plan that i had discussed with my two mid-wife's of choice. i tried to explain this to her, but she would not budge. and so we settled in for a long wait. after just a few minutes, i began to get incredibly uncomfortable. i decided to let scott, kristie and jen rest while i did some bouncing on the birthing ball. that plan didn't last long. suddenly the contractions became intense and i felt like i was in pretty active labor.

after some time on the ball, some time on the bed, i couldn't take it and needed some relief. i opted to climb into the birthing tub. all i can really recall was intense pain and a hot that came from within. i could not get cool. between scott, kristie and jen they were taking turns running down the hall for ice, and placing iced washcloths on my face. they were talking me through the breathing and keeping me from shutting down. they were amazing.

after what felt like forever, i started to feel like i was ready to push. the mid-wife checked me and said that i was 8cm. that is not what i wanted to hear. i had recently finished the first dose of antibiotic, but was waiting to start the second dose. at that point i hit a wall and begged her to break my water. she was not going to budge. finally after some strong words from this laboring momma, she said she would but that i would need to get out of the tub and wait until the second dose of antibiotic began (i think they were putting it into the line at that time). i went to stand up and was thrilled to discover that my water broke on its own. after another check it was determined that i was complete and ready to push.

pushing was a disaster. because of sweet poppy's slightly turned position and because of my fatigue i just wasn't really productive. my poor hubby spent a lot of time and energy supporting my body while i desperately tried to get that baby out. kristie and jen were holding my hands, continuing the cold towels and giving me much needed encouragement. after what felt like forever, my sweet babe emerged (around 4:15am).

the moment they announced that it was a girl is one i will never forget. i was shocked. everyone that had seen my belly over the months preceding my delivery was convinced that it was a boy. i didn't have a gut feeling, but since the views of others were unanimously pointed towards boy, i began to feel like they were right. and then my husband and two dear friends announced girl! it was one of those moments where time sort of stood still and i was in disbelief. while i have always wanted a son for my husband, i was thrilled. there was something that felt so full circle for this momma and this new babe who shared birth order and family gender order (i am the youngest of three girls). it was such a special moment and i will forever savor it.

and that is how my little california poppy arrived on the scene. she was beautiful and i feel blessed to have been able to share that birth (although less than perfect) with my dear friends kristie and jen. it was like a little gift that while they would not be nearby to see her grow, they got to "know" her in such a special way.

and here she is, one year later... my sweet little penelope. happy birthday, dear one. your daddy, your momma and your sisters love you so much!





3 comments:

  1. thanks for not including the part where I "yelled" at you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so does her dear auntie! I love the moment that God brings our little ones into this world. It makes me sad that we live so far apart and I haven't even met her yet outside your womb. Give her a big hug and kiss from that Aunt she only knows by name (well, probably not really yet) and tell her I and her 5 cousins in PA (Barclay, too, of course) am wishing her a beautiful and happy 1st birthday. (Can't wait to see the cake...wink, wink.) and all the wonderful pictures that I hope will follow that I can live vicariously through. Love you all so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what treasured pics of precious little Poppy! She has grown so much since April...love the kissable, bitable, huggable ankles...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our far away PRECIOUS unPREDICTABLE, POPPY!! Love you all- Nana Jill

    ReplyDelete