Monday, July 28, 2014

Popsie

this girl!  my sweet p!  she has kissed 4 goodbye and is running full throttle into 5.  how in the world did that happen?  

4 has been such a fun year with my popsie!  it has been a year of watching her come into herself in so many beautiful ways.

i was putting together some pictures for this post and just couldn't choose.  my heart is nostalgic as this little birdie is changing from baby to girl way too fast!


many months back, pops walked into my room in the morning.  i was still sound asleep.  she stood next to my face (like right there!) and declared, "momma!  i want to sing you a song."



i was asleep, mind you, so it took a few moments to open my eyes and register what was going on.  she repeated her intentions.  when i finally got on her page and realized that it was time to open my eyes, i asked her to sing.


"wait, mom.  i need to crawl up in your bed and sing it in your ear.  i want to be close to you!"



and with that she climbed up on the bed, curled up next to me with her sweet little mouth a few inches from my ear.  

and she began to sing in the sweetest, softest voice.

a little bit of love goes a long, long way.  a little bit of love goes a long, long way!

over the sea of galilee there gathered a big crowd.  
the food ran out without a doubt and the boy said out loud.  
i'll share my 2 fish and my five loaves of bread.  
so jesus took them in his hand and the multitudes were fed.

a little bit of love goes a long, long way.
a little bit of love goes a long, long, way.
oooo oooo

a little bit of love.





and then she kissed me on the forehead and hopped down off the bed.  "come on, mom.  it's time to get up."

and my heart nearly burst with love for this girl, once again.  

later in the day, when she will willing to divulge more information, she informed me that she had learned the song at school.  

having been a sunday school attendee since birth, i was slightly shocked that this song existed and that i had never heard it before...  but i think that made it even more special.  it was her song.

and for the better part of the year, she has shared that song with me (and countless others) at random. the song is a perfect match for my sweet p.  one of the brightest parts of penelope is her heart.  it FEELS.  she has a keen sense of the hearts around her and at just the right moments, the moments when you need it the most, she gives you a dose of love.  her love is always pure and without restraint.  it is a healing love.  it is a sincere love.  it is filled with compassion and it is flawlessly timed.

and it is the perfect balance to so many OTHER parts of poppy...  (giggle)



this girl has taken my parenting patience to a whole new level.  she tests me and pushes me and challenges me.  she makes me pull lose my mind and then she brings it right back to this...

a little bit of love.

at five, she is still rocking her uggs.


her favorite food is dessert.


she has added apple slices to her "acceptable cuisine" list- making it THE ONLY fruit that girlie will eat.  sigh.  she has also added carrots and ranch to her very small list of vegetables that she will nibble (topping the list are roasted broccoli and asparagus).  her favorite book is vader's little princess (yup.  a star wars story).


she sneaks the ipad whenever momma is distracted and maxes out her screen time daily.  double sigh.  she loves playing with her sisters, alone time with mom or dad, and cuddles.  she makes friends easily but can also play by herself with full contentment.  she is sarcastic, emotional and slightly sassy.


she still hides behind my leg when addressed by someone new, but sheds her "shy" quickly.  she likes art projects and being read books.  she loves swimming and has taught herself freestyle and backstroke while watching her sisters swim this season.  she also taught herself to dive.  she is determined and independent at times, and then there are the moments when she pulls out the "baby of the family" card and does the exact opposite.



and she is funny.  really, really funny.  she has got some one liners that will move you to full belly laugh in a heartbeat.  and she knows comedic timing.  she lets her sillies fly at just the right moments.


happy birthday, penelope!  


yup.  that's a christmas dress.  the top is velvet.  she wore it to the fireworks.  in july.

with her uggs...  because?...  well, that's easy.  because she's poppy and THAT is exactly how she rolls.  



No comments:

Post a Comment