Monday, September 26, 2011

my dad's really old

in july i had the privilege of celebrating my dad's 70th birthday- he didn't actually turn 70 until september but he's difficult like that.  you have to surprise the guy way ahead of time to get one past him. i made the trip to ny under the mask of attending an old friends wedding in the town where i grew up- not sure how he bought it as i haven't been back there in a bazillion years, but he did.  i spent the day before the party hanging out with the family and some close friends of my dad.  on saturday morning he went off for a golf extravaganza not having a clue what was to come.  when he arrived home from golf, he was greeted in the street by all of his family and tons of his life-long friends.  it was beautiful.  i loved looking around and seeing all of these people that he has done life with.  by now, you know that i value relationships a great deal.  friendships mean a lot to me.  i owe this value to my dear old dad.  attending the party were friends he has had from every part of his life.  there were peeps from his childhood, golf buddies, pals from before he had kids, pals from his years in marcellus and pals from his current hood that have become family.  and each person in attendance celebrated the man that he is- a man of relationships, a man of humor, a man of adventure. 

with siblings strung across the united states, it is a rare day for all of us to be together.  i cherish the brief time that we all had to be together.  it was lovely to hang out with them and share conversations, stories and old family videos. 





i have some pretty amazing siblings.  my brother lives in austin and is going to school and working for a really cool company.  stacy is a homeschooling momma with 5 kiddos in her "school"- that makes me tired to even think about, a leader of her women's ministry at her church, and the caretaker for my momma.  heather is a proud momma of 3, a fashionista, cabi consultant and closet auditor.  and my littlest sister, amanda is steps away from getting her masters and about to start pa school.  it makes me proud to think about all of them.  each one is beautiful and accomplished in such unique ways.



i went to sleep on saturday night on an aerobed on the floor of our guest room.  billy was at the foot of my mattress on the floor and heather and amanda were sharing the queen bed.  stacy and her fam were just down the hall in one direction and my dad and smom were just down the hall in the other direction. 

the weirdest thing overcame me as i tried to sleep.  i was giddy.  i can't really remember the last time that we were all under the same roof of my father's home, tucked into our beds together.  most families experience this their entire life, but for me this is an unusual occurrence.  i didn't want to close my eyes and drift off into dreamland because i just wanted to savor the moment. 

while this was very much a wonderful way to celebrate my daddy, it was just as memorable for me.  i will replay scenes from this weekend for years to come and will not soon forget the incredible feeling of togetherness. 

i am grateful.  thanks, dad, for a reason to assemble.  you are one of kind and i love you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment