Monday, April 22, 2013

scott and jesus have a few things in common... just so you know

i have been a wee bit hard on the hubs as of late.  in fact, the dude has been single dad'in it for the past two weekends while i have been off celebrating my sister's wedding and participating in a women's retreat.  he's a good man.  but he needs a shout out...  and so here you have it, a long overdue hip hip for the hubs...

and now for the story.

last june scott and i were sitting at the kitchen table chatting, sipping some joe and just hanging on a saturday morning.  i was also catching up on pinterest.  not familiar?  i promise, you are better off.  moving on...

i was looking at pins and came across this beautiful image of a backyard playhouse.  i loved everything about it.  i swear, it looked like the photo in the pin had been taken in my very own backyard.  i showed the pin to scott and said, "isn't this adorbs?"  

his immediate reply, "i could make that."

me:  "really?"

him:  "sure"

me:  "what makes you think so?

him:  "because i can?"

me:  "we've been married for almost ten years, babe.  i never knew.  are you sure?"

him:  "i'm sure"

me:  "how do you know?"

and it went on like this for a bit.  i had no idea that my husband was a carpenter.  i mean, he loves jesus and all...  but skills?  i wasn't so sure.

me:  "were you looking at the right picture?  this one?  right here?"  (i didn't really say that.  just adding it in to embellish)

me:  "the girls would love that!"

him:  "i'm on it."

and so for the next two weekends, scott donned his carpenter belt (he doesn't really have one...  but maybe he should).  really...  he went to work building a platform, and then walls, and then a roof.  he built stairs and then porch railings.

and about 14 days post my, "really?", he produced the most adorable playhouse for our three little girlies.

you may recall that this momma is fearful of the play dough, resistant to get out the smock and brushes, has a slight aversion to mess of all sorts...  but this playhouse has liberated me (that and the warm climate we now live in).

girl:  "momma, can we play with play dough?"

me:  "yes!"

girl:  "momma, can we paint?"

me:  "yes!"

girl:  "momma, do we have glitter?"

me:  "it's in the play house!  glitter away.  create.  craft.  dough.  paint.  i can't wait to see what you make...  outside...  far away from the inside...  where i don't have to clean it...  and it doesn't scatter all over our home...  yes!"



and so for almost a year now...  we have been in playhouse heaven.  the guy down the street said that scott was making the dad's of the world look back.  i say, he's making this mom happy.

did i mention that i married the best dad ever???


No comments:

Post a Comment