Thursday, October 20, 2011

love at third sight (part 1)

i should change the title of my blog to something like "diary of a lyric addict" or something like that.  i know.  i'm a dork.  but songs speak to me and inspire me and get my brain digging deeper.  for some reason, song lyrics tend to illuminate the bigger picture for me.

moving on...

recently, i was asked the question if i believed in love at first sight. 

the realist and feminist in me says that there is no such thing.  love doesn't work like that and if it does it is only temporary.  how can a first sight visual get you through life?  how can a glimpse in one direction and eyes locking at their first meeting go the distance?  it's hard for me to say "yes" to that.

the romantic in me says maybe.  i mean it would be nice and everything but it feels like it is a little far fetched and more of a fairytale.  it would be cool but it doesn't really happen like that very often and the fairytale usually ends at the alter not at the 50th wedding anniversary.  maybe i would be more of a believer if there was a cinderella part deaux...  maybe they could show good old cinderella (played by betty white) throwing a ball to help their grandson find his love.  the party could start out with grandma cindy dancing with prince not quite as charming (played by sean connery).  toasts could be given by the people in the town and then the new prince (maybe beiber would be a good fit?) could begin the search for his own cinderella.  nice in theory.  but it isn't exactly real.

the Christ follower in me says "yes".  i recently was reminded (through a message at church) that jacob fell in love with rachel at first sight.

but as for me...  i fell in love with my hubs with the help of tweety bird...  at third sight.


first sight:
scott and i met in a bar.  i used to feel icky saying that.  but it is part of my story and no matter how you spin it, it is the truth.  a bunch of my friends were in town and we were all hanging out at fado in buckhead. the girls and i were chatting as two guys approached us.  they introduced themselves, made some small talk and then one of them asked for my number.  i had never given out my number to a stranger in a bar.  i wasn't sure what to do, but there was something inside me that said "do it".  and so i did.

the guy called me a few days later and asked me on a date.  he wanted to take me out to dinner.  logic told me that this was a bad idea.  girls who go out with people they don't know end up on the 10 o'clock news not on the last page of a fairytale book (and let's be honest, i'm not much of a fan of fairytales).  but again, there was something inside me that said "do it".  in an effort to avoid that news story ending to my life i made plans to meet him at the restaurant, let a few friends know where i was going and was sure to go straight home after dinner.

second sight:
we had a good time.  he was funny, smart, and such a gentleman.  conversation between us was easy and we had a lot in common.  and when he talked about something we didn't have in common, i found him to be intriguing. 

we talked on the phone a bit over the next few weeks.  if i remember correctly, he was going out of town the following week and then i was out of town the weekend after that.  those phone conversations were fun.  i remember them as being long and filled with laughter.  i remember hanging up the phone each time with a smile on my face and feeling joy as i learned new things about this person.  it was exciting and fun and refreshing. 

third sight:
on our second date, he took me to this cool restaurant where i had the most delicious pasta that i have ever had.  i can close my eyes to this date and remember that dish.  in fact, i have spent a great deal of time trying to recreate the recipe because it was that good.  but as usual, i digress.  after dinner he took me to the fox theatre to see les miserables.  yes.  you read that correctly.  who was this guy and where did he come from? 

as we sat in the theatre waiting for the show to begin, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a tweety bird pez dispenser.  putting his thumb on the top of tweety's head, he cocked it backwards, looked at me and offered me a pez. 

i fell in love. 

9 years ago this week, that guy and i hung out in aruba celebrating our marriage and relaxing.  it was bliss. 

in august, that guy and i snuck away on a one night adventure to tomales bay.  when we got into the car, he popped in a "mix tape" (ok it wasn't actually a mix tape)...  this song was in the compilation: 

forever can never be long enough for me
to feel like i've had long enough with you
forget the world now, we won't let them see
but there's one thing left to do

now that the weight has lifted
love has surly shifted my way

marry me
today and every day
marry me
if i ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe

say you will
say you will

together can never be close enough for me
to feel like i'm close enough to you
you wear white and i'll wear out the words i love you
and you're beautiful

now that the wait is over
and love has finally showed her my way

marry me
today and every day
marry me
if i ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe

say you will
say you will

promise me you'll always be
happy by my side
i promise to sing to you
when all the music dies

and marry me
today and every day
marry me
if i ever get the nerve to say hello in this cafe

say you will
say you will
marry me

it reminded me of how we met.  it reminded me of how much i love him.  it reminded me that our marriage commitment isn't just a choice made once, but one we make each day. 

and so happy 9 years, my sweet husband.  thanks for getting up the nerve to say hello. 

No comments:

Post a Comment