Tuesday, April 19, 2011

a box and a prayer

i told you last year that my garden produced ONE tomato. granted- my garden was a sad container garden that might have longed for a tad bit more water than it was getting, but no matter how you slice it one tomato is a sad state.

the second week into our new home, i began to plot out and come up with a garden design for our new space. after two years of success in chicago, i was not willing to let another one tomato summer occur (holding my breath a little as i type that). i did a lot of internet searches, book reading etc. and came up with a new plan. what i landed on was totally new to me (in spite of the fact that my friend used this same method in munster, in... i swear when she told me about it i had NO IDEA what she was talking about. i just smiled, nodded and coveted her beautiful garden. true story.).

so what did i land on, you ask? it is the square foot garden method. it involves a super special soil mix, a raised square foot planter box, a special square foot grid and some seeds. sounds simple, right?

it is! it is so simple and i am in garden love! i set my hubby to building a while back and he made me a lovely box for my garden. and then it rained. and rained. and rained.

i'm serious. i think it rained for the entire month of february and most of march. somewhere in the middle of march we had a little dry spell and so into the soil went my seeds. i whispered sweet garden dreams into their ears as i planted them because I WILL NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT have another one tomato summer.


and apparently, the seeds listened to my stern plea. just one week later, little sprouts started bursting forth from their darkness into the sunlight.



and now, a few weeks later... voila! my seeds they are a'growin! i have such hope that in just a few short weeks i will be harvesting all sorts of green goodness.



and for good measure, i canceled my veggie box that i have loved so much for the past year. i mean, who needs it? i have such high hopes that i can deliver my own box of goodness right here through my brand new, ever so healthy, square foot garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment